Top museums in New York City
In New York you’ll find some of the most important museums and art galleries worldwide. Here is a list of the top museums in New York City.
Our top museum
- Opened 13 years after the tragic events that took place in New York on 11 September, the National September 11 Museum honours the 3,000 victims of the terrorist attacks.
Three most famous museums
- Opened in 1929, the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) has become the most influential museum of modern art worldwide.
- The Metropolitan Museum, also known as the Met, is the second most visited museum in the world after the Louvre.
- Its cylindrical building became a reference during the mid-twentieth century and the Guggenheim Museum has become one of New York’s icons.
- Housed in Henry Clay Frick’s Gilded Age Mansion on Fifth Avenue, the Frick Collection is one of the most surprising visits in New York City. Absolutely worthwhile going.
- Visitors can discover an aircraft carrier, submarine and legendary Concorde in The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
Other interesting museums
- Founded in 1869, the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) offers its visitors a view of the natural world’s human cultures and universe’s history.
- Founded in 1923, the Museum of the City of New York goes over the metropolis’ history from its foundation as New Amsterdam to the present day.
- With over 200 figures and located on Times Square, New York’s Madame Tussauds is one of the most famous wax museums.
- The Tenement Museum has a number of restored apartments that were occupied by immigrants of different periods. It’s a fascinating way of discovering how inhabitants of New York lived years ago.
Museums not worth visiting
Although it always comes down to a personal opinion, we believe these following museums are not worth visiting:
- The Whitney Museum focuses on twentieth and twenty-first century American Art and has the largest permanent collection of American contemporary art.
- Since its opening in 1977, the New Museum of Contemporary Art offers exhibitions of new artists or artists whose work isn’t well known.
- In an old police station, the New York City Police Museum covers the NYPD’s history, the world’s most famous police.
How to save up money?
The admission tickets to New York's museums are quite expensive, therefore we recommend those that want to visit several of New York’s museums to get the New York Pass. You can also go up the Empire State Building and visit more top attractions with the Pass. We definitely recommend it.