Some of the most important film directors such as Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese and Spike Lee have produced most of their work in New York.
Currently, with the reduction of rates for filming in the Big Apple, the number of films that are set in the streets of NYC are increasing.
List of Films Set in New York
These are some of the films that capture the essence of the city:
- King Kong: The last scene when King Kong climbs the Empire State Building, immortalized the building. It was filmed in 1933.
- Taxi Driver: Directed by Martin Scorsese and starred by Robert De Niro (both from NYC), Taxi Driver is a classic that transmitted the essence of the city to the rest of the world.
- Manhattan: Directed and starred by Woody Allen, this 1979 film is considered by many to be a classic.
- Wall Street: The actor Charlie Sheen is a young broker trying to make his way in the corrupt world of Wall Street.
- West Side Story: This musical depicts the rivalry between two American gangs and is winner of a total of ten Academy Awards.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s: Comedy based on the Truman Capote’s book by the same name, this film won two awards.
Other films that also depict the city's spirit are:
- Crocodile Dundee: Although this film isn’t as popular as the ones previously mentioned, more than one will feel identified with Mike Dundees' arrival in The Big City.
- Ghostbusters: Bill Murray fought the paranormal activity in the New York Public Library.
Series Set in New York
- Friends: Series filmed between 1994 and 2004 in Greenwich Village.
- Sex and the City: Famous series that has inspired one of the most famous excursions in New York City. During this excursion, you get to visit shops, bars and restaurants where the protagonists of the series spent their time.
- How I Met Your Mother: Although it is filmed in Los Angeles, the series is based in New York.