With a vertical drop of 165 feet (50 m) and 3,409 feet (1,000 m) wide, Niagara Falls are located between the Canadian and American international borders, about 400 miles from New York City, and are considered one of the most beautiful phenomenon in the world.
Given its name by the Iroquois Native American tribe, Niagara means “water thunder”. These three water falls are unique in the world and attract millions of visitors each year.
What to See at Niagara Falls?
Niagara Falls provide such a breath-taking view that they are not easily forgotten. Here are some of the essential sightseeing spots:
- Maid of the Mist: This boat takes its passengers on a surprising boat trip underneath the waterfalls.
- Journey Behind the Falls: You’ll be able to visit the waterfalls from inside a tunnel that takes you extremely close with a stunning view.
- Horseshoe Falls: With the shape of a horseshoe, its 2,600 feet brink length is the most astonishing part of Niagara Falls due to the amount of water that passes through it.
- Goat Island: This uninhabited island is found in front of the falls and is an extremely popular viewpoint thanks to its ideal location.
- Bridal Veil Falls: This is the smallest waterfall, but, it is very interesting to walk to its base via the Cave of the Winds.
- Table Rock: On the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, it is one of the best viewpoints for its visitors.
Day Trips from New York
The easiest way to get to the Falls from New York City is to book an guided day tour. Choose whether you want to get there by bus or by plane, and book online.
The day trip by bus is the cheapest option. The journey is long (6 hours approximately), but it is worth it since all the coaches are new, very comfortable, with WiFi, coffee machine and you can sleep throughout the travel.
If you prefer to take a plane to Niagara Falls, you can also book our Guided Tour by Plane. The only disadvantage is that it is slightly expensive. Even though it only takes an hour to get to the destination., you have to include the travel to the airport, the waiting at the airport and then getting to Niagara Falls, so in the end, both tours are more or less the same length of time:
How to Get to Niagara Falls?
There are several possible ways to get to Niagara Falls from New York City:
- By plane: The closest airport is the Buffalo Niagara International Airport. It takes about 10 minutes to drive to the Falls. You can also fly to Toronto’s Pearson International Airport or to Rochester, a little further away from Niagara Falls. From the different airports, you can rent a car or take public transport.
- Rent a car: If you prefer to drive and have enough time, you can drive the 400 miles (640 km) to the Falls, and make the most of the country's inexpensive petrol. You can rent a car here.